Monday 19 November 2012

Veggie garden

Wanting to grow my own veg at home for as long as I can remember, the day has finally arrived. The Captain ordered a book by Mel Bartholomew about Square Foot Gardening, or SFG in short. (You can read the review on his book here and visit the SFG  website here.) It gives you great ideas and a whole "new look" on how to garden.
I did my own bit of research in Jane Griffith's delicious book and on her website and blog about organic gardening which has been a huge inspiration to me.

We decided to go "above ground" and higher up than the usual raised beds, saving on our "broken" backs a bit. My first stop was at Stellenzicht vineyards here where I was lucky to get hold of 4 old wooden crates (about 1m x 1.2m) which was previously used for the grape harvests.


The next step was to source the ingredients for Mels's mix. Quite a genius mix, but I'll tell you more about that another day.

With the mix all mixed, we were able to fill only one crate; but for me that was quite enough. My seedlings went in there and voilà, all ready to grow into delicious, juicy, home-grown goodness!


I'll keep you updated on the progress of our veggie boxes.

Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...