Thursday 28 February 2013

South African food

When my sister came around for lunch the other day,  I made something truly South African with a bit of a twist;  bobotie springrolls. Bobotie is a Cape Malay dish made with minced meat, spices and dried fruit and is served with yellow rice with raisins. We always serve it with sambals on the side too, such as plain yoghurt, desiccated coconut, chopped tomato and onion, sliced banana and of course, chutney! There are several recipes for Bobotie on the internet, even Nigella Lawson has her own version (ours is a family secret, so I won't share it here....).




If you like a sweet and spicy meat dish, this would be something to try! I like to take the meat-mixture and roll it in phyllo-pastry sheets to make "springrolls". Rather than deep-fry, I bake it in the oven and it is absolutely delicious!

Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...