Monday 20 August 2012

Seed bombs

 Remember the post about Guerilla gardening that I wrote about here? I've made my own seed bombs in the meantime and I am very happy with the results. I've found though that recycled egg-boxes worked best for these.
To make the seed bombs, I just ripped the boxes in small pieces and poured boiling water over. It soaked overnight and the following day I ripped the soaked paper into smaller shreds and squeezed out most of the water. The seeds  mixed with a good two handfuls of potting soil was mixed with the paper pulp - I guess you can purée the soaked boxes in a blender too.  I had no fixed recipe to work with, so I just followed my instinct here.
After it had dried completely,  I handed them out to friends (of course....hehehe) and "bombed" my own garden with the rest. To my surprise, it didn't take very long for the seeds to start sprouting...





We are just into the "last" month of winter here in the Southern Hemisphere and the soil is still very wet, but I'm looking forward to a few delightful surprises in spring when these little guys blossom in their full glory.

Links to sites for bomb recipes:

Guerilla Gardening
Crafterholic

Happy bombing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...